As much of the world continues to live in social isolation to prevent the spread of COVID-19, health officials in Montreal have noticed an uptick in STD rates, especially among adults aged 20-29. Authorities believe it is this age group that is driving the resurgence of COVID-19 in Montreal.
COVID-19 is not an STD, although the disease has been detected in the semen of men who have or are recovering from the illness. While COVID-19 can be transmitted during sex, the transmission most likely takes place in the social practices that take place before sex, such as in crowded bars or house parties.
Now more than ever, it is time to be safe–both to slow the spread of COVID-19 and STDs. Many health officials recommend only engaging in sexual activity with your live-in partner, and limiting hook-ups.
And as always, practicing safe sex will reduce your risk of STD infection. The CDC recommends:
- Individuals ages 13 to 64 should be tested at least once for HIV.
- Sexually active women younger than 25 years should be tested yearly for gonorrhea and chlamydia. Women 25 years and older with new or multiple sex partners or a sex partner who has an STD should also be tested yearly for gonorrhea and chlamydia.
- Pregnant women should be tested for syphilis, HIV, and hepatitis B starting early in pregnancy, and at-risk pregnant women should additionally be tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea starting early in pregnancy.
- Sexually active gay and bisexual men should be tested at least once a year for syphilis, chlamydia, and gonorrhea. Those who have multiple or anonymous partners should be tested more frequently for STDs (i.e., at 3- to 6-month intervals).
- Sexually active gay and bisexual men should test for HIV every 3 to 6 months.
- Anyone who has unprotected sex or shares injection drug equipment should be tested for HIV at least once a year.
Private Testing Center is here to help with all your testing needs. We offer affordable and convenient testing in a constant effort to prevent the spread of Herpes, HIV and other STDs. We deliver fast results so any necessary treatment can happen quickly. Same Day appointments are available and with over 1500 locations nationwide, your closest location is only a short drive away. We understand your privacy is of the utmost importance and we assure confidentiality for every one of our customers.